Sunday, October 5, 2008

31 For 21 - #4

Today, we went to the zoo! It was a beautiful day so off we went. It was Jack's first time there, and he seemed interested in a few of the animals. Some were more difficult to see than others. He watched the elephants and rhinos, the giraffees and the penguins. The lions and tigers he slept through. I wonder what he would've thought of the big aviary. I guess we'll find out next time.

Here's a funny from last night:
When I was in the bathroom yesterday, I realized there was no TP. So I yelled out the door to M, who I knew was near. As she handed me in a new roll, I commented, "I don't think I've had to yell for TP since I was little". So what was her reply? "Well, this must be a big day for you then." WHAT??? She's so funny. Then I have my Tyler, who is going to get in such trouble some day at school. I walked into the kitchen last night to see Allan asleep at the breakfast bar and Ty standing at the counter, holding a spoon, in front of a tub of ice cream. So I said, "hey, why is the ice cream out?" Without even thinking about it, Ty says, "Dad was eating it". Did not even smile! What a stinker!

ds fact:
One of the other types of ds is Translocation Trisomy 21. This means there are still 3 of the 21st chromasome, but it's attached to another chomasome, usually #14 or one of the other #21s. Here is the interesting part of this type of ds - this can actually result because one of the parents is a balanced carrier. This means the parent has the correct # of chromasomes, but one pair is stuck together. This can result in the increased chance of future pregnancies resulting in ds as well. The chance of this happening is only about 2 or 3% of all ds births. Who knew, right?

Zoo pics soon! 'Til then:

Here's Jack on his first day at home! How excited we were that he was here!

No comments: